This is one of the new series of weekend courses designed specifically for animal owners who wish to help their horses through a greater understanding of their needs. We will give you a good grounding on the issues related to understanding natural behaviours and hence identifying and changing unwanted behaviours.
• All horses have a scientific behavioural repertoire and you will learn to identify which behaviours are normal and hence which are abnormal
• There is a set of common needs for all horses and when these are compromised, even just temporarily horses become stressed
• Problem behaviours such as aggression, fear, resistance to training (for instance napping, learning to be led without barging, being caught in a field, standing still to tacked up etc), are all indictors of breakdowns in coping and you will be given practical solutions on how to both identify and resolve these
• We will show you how to look at the world from the horse’s point of view
• You will gain the benefit from both the theoretical and practical aspects of the course – we will achieve this by working through real live case studies as well as giving you an opportunity to ask questions about specific horses you know
• You will leave with practical solutions such as NAC Behaviour Modification Programmes that will teach you how to implement them immediately on your own horses
• Teach Yourself Horse Volume 1, Meeting The Needs of Your Horse (written by Heather Simpson) will be useful references for the course. Positive Horse Magic (written by Ross Simpson) is module based clicker training system which is rooted in positive reinforcement training (learn to train your horse like a dolphin trainer does!) and ties in with our overall approach to horse welfare.
Weekend courses are all priced at £189, but if you book 8 weeks ahead of the course date the price drops to £149. You can book to stay with us at our B&B – just email us and we will sort it out for you.